October 03, 2008

Genealogy

I haven't blogged much -at all?- about my (fanatic, according to some) interest in researching my ancestry. Lately I have found a whole bunch of relatives in the US. Or cousins as I prefer to call them. I enjoy telling MrS that I have found yet another American/or Swedish cousin - when it is really a third cousin three or five times removed in the "real world". He's not amused. He would go as far as to admit a "Tremänning" (third cousin) is a cousin. He has quite alot of "real cousins", coming from a large family. But further out than that, nah - wouldn't think so. But that's him. I treasure all of my cousins, from the 1st to the last! And I keep on calling them "kusiner/cousins".

I think we, us ancestor hunters, usually concider those "cousins umpteen times removed" as regular cousins. Or am I wrong? I'd
like to think of y'all as cousins. So I will. For the most part we do share a couple of ancestors back in time, about 100-150 years ago. That you spring from one child and I from another in the same family, who cares!? Not me. You're still my cousin, and that's the end of that.

What's your opinion?

I now have COUSINS in the following states: Connecticut, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Texas, Ohio, Missouri, Nebraska, California, Washington and Illinois. Might have missed a state or two, but hey what a road-trip that would be!!! I'd also make a detour up to Canada and visit you too Cousin M!

Happy Friday and Trevlig helg!

2 comments:

Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

Yep, I'm with you! When I talk about you to my children, I refer to you as "my cousin in Sweden". They're just now realizing that you're removed quite a few times...but then again everyone around here thinks I'm zonked anyway, so that probably won't help your argument with Cousin S. anyway.

Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

I tagged you, Cousin M.! Come over to my blog to see if you want to play.