February 06, 2008

Family and celebrations!

My blogging habit sucks! That is a fact - but I am honestly doing my best.. :-)

It's been "a while" since I last wrote anything. This is a serious attempt to write down the latest news:

Travelled to Jönköping on Friday, to spend a prolonged weekend with my family who still live in my birth town. It is only a 3 hour drive, but it tends to be longer and longer between my trips. Would love to live closer to "home", but... things being as they are, I am kind of "stuck" where I am today.

For now at least. One never knows.

The main purpose of this my 3 hour trip in my tiny blue Fiesta was to spend Saturday with my maternal grandmother - and the rest of the family/cousins. My gran celebrated her 95th birthday on the 2nd! She is totally clear (more than most!) and is my true inspiration when it comes to genealogy hunting! She is the person who got it all started!

....with "OSCAR"... Ahhhh... the man who mysteriously vanished somewhere "over there". My true brick wall. Here is a reminder of whom I am talking about. Anyone recognize him?? Give me a holler if that is the case, ok...
Anyway, my gran is doing great. If it wasn't for a somewhat bad hearing and eyesight she would be up and going, just like that! We all had BIG pieces of smörgåstårta, then my grandmother's homemade cake (without the 95 candles!) and coffee. All very good and yummy.

Then I "accidentally" mentioned that I didn't have a picture of her mother's father, Carl August Flodberg - sooo we got all her old photo albums out! We are totally bad (nerds?) the two of us when it comes to talking about the "olden days". She loves to tell me the stories and I love to hear her talking about it. What could be better? Perfect match. But no - no picture of Carl August to be found...

We had clear and fine roads during our trip to Tidaholm, where my gran lives. Then it started to snow really heavily during the day and when we turned back towards Jönköping in the late afternoon we were totally engulfed by a snowstorm. About a decimeter of snow - yippee! Not. Due to the storms the rest of the family and cousins were all snowed in and couldn't make it on saturday. They celebrated gran on sunday instead. A shame for those of us (i e me!) that haven't seen them for years and years...

No comments: